[rt-users] rt-serializer and rt-importer

Tim Gustafson tjg at ucsc.edu
Fri Feb 21 12:37:46 EST 2014

> The docs cover this pretty well:
> http://bestpractical.com/docs/rt/latest/rt-serializer.html#no-users

Well, the docs say:

> By default, all privileged users are serialized; passing --no-users
> limits it to only those users which are strictly necessary.

But it does not tell you what "strictly necessary" means.  The
documentation specifically calls out "privileged users" here, but if
I'm not interested in maintaining user privileges from the system that
I'm exporting from, then does using this parameter mean that those
users will be imported only as ticket members, or will privileged
users be re-created in the new system as privileged?  Or is this a
flag to say "normally, privileged users are copied even if they're not
associated with a ticket, but with this flag they're not copied unless
they are associated with a ticket"?

So, to put my question another way, what's the proper combination of
command-line arguments to copy over *only* queues and tickets, and to
*not* copy any groups or ACLs?  My best guess is:

rt-serializer --no-users --no-groups --no-deleted

Also, I was running this command against my production data, which has
about 80,000 tickets in it, and it consumed obscene amounts of RAM.
The rt-serializer hit about 1.3GB of RAM before the machine ran out of
swap, even with a log --gc value and a smaller --page value.  I even
tried a --gc of -1 and that didn't seem to matter either.  The whole
database for this installation is a bit shy of 10GB, so I'm wondering
if I need to run this on a machine with at least that much RAM?  And
oddly, the dump folder only contained two 32MB +/- files in it when
the process crashed, which is causing me some concern.  Does that
imply that it used 1.3GB of RAM to export 64MB of data?

--

Tim Gustafson
tjg at ucsc.edu
831-459-5354