[rt-users] Using Fetchmail to pipe mail into RT.

Joshua Riden jriden at cmhshare.org
Mon Jan 13 15:34:15 EST 2014

Hi,

I am installing Request Tracker 4.2 on CentOS 6.5 with Perl, Apache, and
MySQL.
I am using Fetchmail as the MDA, and Postfix as the MTA.
Google apps is being used as our main email system.

So far I have resolved all dependencies and initialized the database and
got the website going.
I can log on as root and navigate the RT site just fine from another
workstation.
I had to follow the official documentation and do some wiki reading and
intensive googling to get me where I am at now.

I need some clear cut instructions on how to successfully pipe emails into
RT.
Is the /etc/aliases list required? Or can I just use ./fetchmailrc  by
itself? /etc/default/fetchmail is not created by default.
How can I manually pipe emails into my RT instance? What syntax would I use
for that? I googled around and could not find anything about that.

Here is what my fetchmailrc configuration file looks like..
set daemon 30;

poll pop.gmail.com proto pop3
username "jriden at cmhshare.org" password "mypassword"
mda "/usr/bin/perl /opt/rt4/bin/rt-mailgate --url https://localhost/ \
--queue general --action correspond"

keep
ssl

Question: at   --url https://localhost/     <--is that supposed to be the
FQDN or leave it as localhost?

I can fetch email's from an external email server (Gmail) with success
using fetchmail. However, nothing is appearing in the queue's on the RT
site. The queue's name is the same name in the ./fetchmailrc config which
is 'general'.

I have viewed all the official documentation on the Best Practical site as
well as the wiki and still no luck. I have been battling to get the email
part working for 4 days now.

If you need any extra information I will be happy to provide it.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your assistance.

--

*Joshua Riden*

*Operations Support TechnicianInformation Services *
*Comprehensive Life Resources*
*Email: **jriden at cmhshare.org* <jriden at cmhshare.org>

*Desk:   x5844*
*Mobile: **(253) 355-9877*