[rt-users] Apache Threads hanging & not gracefully exiting

Nathan Baker bakern at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 13:43:59 EST 2014

Hello everyone,

I currently have an instance of RT 4.0.17 running that we're using for
processing incoming faxes.  The faxes come in as attachments, and I have
some customizations to allow our staff to process these attachments (PDFs)
faster.

Everything seems to work great for a while, and the memory usage gradually
increases, and eventually all of the Apache threads (using event mpm) are
stuck in the "W" state (sending reply).  If I try to gracefully restart
apache, all of those threads are stuck in the "G" state (gracefully
finishing). Those threads will never exit unless I kill the processes
manually.  My guess would be that one of my customizations are causing
this, but does anyone have any tips for how to find out what the problem is?

I tried this:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/control/control.html#All_RAM_Consumed
And all I get is some "No object mapping for field::Name" warnings when
people login (we are using the ExternalAuth module for Active Directory
integration).

I also came across these two things saying to try adding the
PERL_DESTRUCT_LEVEL environment variable to avoid the perl_destruct() call
before exiting, and that could let the threads exit.  Is this safe to try
with RT?

Here's a brief list of what was customized:
- ExternalAuth module using Active Directory
- modified Ticket/Elements/ShowAttachments (locally) to show PDF attachment
preview
-
using Callbacks/AddAttachmentsColumn/Elements/RT__Ticket/ColumnMap/Default
callback to add "Attachments" column to dashboard for quickly viewing
attachments without going into ticket
- custom Scrip that uses Filesys::SmbClient to copy attachments to the
user's computer when they "Take" the ticket

I would be happy to share any of the custom code, I just want to make sure
nothing is wrong with it before posting it to the Wiki.  Any tip on
troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nate