[rt-users] RT 4.2.1 - ExternalAuth against LDAP server and users with multiple mail addresses

Gerald Vogt vogt at spamcop.net
Thu Jan 30 09:01:05 EST 2014

Hi Kevin,

On 29.01.14 20:08, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 07:54:06AM +0100, Gerald Vogt wrote:
>> On 22.01.2014 11:57, Albert Shih wrote:
>>> Because event manually through the web interface I can create a ticket with
>>> « requestor » is the second email-address. I got a error.
>>
>> That's the same problem.
>>
>> Considering there is no positive feedback on my question and seeing the
>> source code I am pretty sure this doesn't work and actually never did
>> even though the docs in the ExternalAuth SiteConfig says it would work
>> since 0.10.
>
> Looks like the developer who merged the docs didn't also merge the
> code needed.  You can see more in the ticket I filed.
> https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=92381
>
> The multiple-emails branch could use more testing, but is not up to
> date with current master.

Are you sure the current source code of the extension is actually
capable of doing this?

I can see in the sourcecode of RT/Interface/Email/Auth/MailFrom.pm that
tries to find the user for the sender e-mail address using LoadByEmail.
LoadByEmail only checks the email address in the local database. If it
doesn't find it there it tries to create a new user with that email address.

To me it looks as if this extension will never work properly unless it
modifies the LoadByEmail function to do a LDAP lookup if not found in
the local database. And I don't see any indication anywhere in the
multiple-emails branch of the extension to do anything like that.

So I kind of doubt it's just some more testing to get this working...

Gerald