[rt-users] taking 55 plus seconds to return from responding to tickets

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Fri Jan 31 17:12:13 EST 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 04:27:47PM -0500, Lois Bennett wrote:

Reordering -

>    By using the command line to create a ticket I have tracked it down to a single call using the
>    Devel::NYTProfmodule.
>
>    perl -d:NYTProf rt create -t ticket set subject="Testing" queue=19 owner=salbb

All you've done here is profile the REST interface.
You're not *actually* profiling the RT codebase, this is why all your
time is spent in Net::HTTP.

>    It has been running fine. Monday a colleague shutdown and cloned the RT server in order to
>    give it a new name in the virtual center server.
>    The only change that was made to the server I believe was the ether net address changed. I had
>    to start httpd and sendmail manually because they had not been set to auto start. I did that
>    with the chkconfig command for sendmail and for httpd. Everything seemed to come up fine
>    but.....

Your DNS is probably broken.
When this happens, sendmail begins blocking when sending email.

Step 1 - fix your DNS
Step 2 - if you're running sendmail brand sendmail, read about and
enable this configuration so that RT doesn't have to sit around and
wait while sendmail mucks about sending email.
http://bestpractical.com/docs/rt/latest/RT_Config.html#SendmailArguments
(the second paragraph).

If fixing DNS doesn't fix the issue, please post the logs you
mentioned.

If you want to profile RT itself, you need to either integrate NYTProf
into your apache configuration or run it on
/opt/rt4/sbin/standalone_httpd which will give you a guaranteed single
threaded test site.

-kevin