[rt-users] fcgi read timeout error in 4.2.5

Shawn Plummer plummer at geneseo.edu
Mon Jun 16 09:08:32 EDT 2014

Hello everyone,

I have been struggling with a consistent error in the 4.2.x line since it was released. On my development server I consistently get this error:

==> /var/log/httpd/rt4devel_error_log <==
[Mon Jun 16 09:01:17 2014] [warn] [client 137.238.60.9] mod_fcgid: read data timeout in 40 seconds, referer: https://rtdevel.geneseo.edu/index.html?HomeRefreshInterval=120
[Mon Jun 16 09:01:17 2014] [error] [client 137.238.60.9] Premature end of script headers: rt-server.fcgi, referer: https://rtdevel.geneseo.edu/index.html?HomeRefreshInterval=120

It occurs sporadically. When navigating around I would say it around 1 in 10 clicks. When I leave it on the home page it occurs after 5-10 reloads. In my testing it seems able to happen on just about any page.

I am running on RHEL 6.5
Apache 2.2.15
mod_fcgid-2.3.9
Oracle Instant Client 11.2 against a 11g database.

I ran the development server on the same code as our production (4.0.17) for a day before upgrading and did not experience this error so I feel it is related to 4.2.x

I enabled debug logging and stack traces  but when this error occurs nothing is logged other than the http error log above.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this or ideas on how to troubleshoot this further?

Thanks you!

--
Shawn Plummer
Systems Manager | SUNY Geneseo