[rt-users] Salesforce & JIRA

Bart bart at pleh.info
Wed Jun 18 08:10:46 EDT 2014

*1) Ability to create a JIRA ticket from within RT. This is so that
customer requests which will ultimately require code changes can be
properly linked*

If JIRA is capable of receiving e-mails then you can send e-mails from RT
to JIRA (and vise versa). This would assume that the subject will contain
both the RT ticket ID and the JIRA ticket ID. At least, that would be the
easy way and I believe JIRA supports this as well.

Another option is to create a custom top menu which contains a few links to
places you find relevant, including a link for creating JIRA tickets via
the JIRA webpage (though this would be the same as creating a bookmark in
your browser, not sure if that's what your looking for).

Alternatively, you could automate ticket creating using the Scrip
functionalities. e.g. automatically send an email to address XYZ when a
certain condition is met (CF value, subject value, etc.). But this would
depend on the JIRA functionalities as well, JIRA will need to support
ticket creation in some sort of way other then filling out a form (I
believe it does, but I'm not very familiar with JIRA).

Also, when you turn this question around. Can JIRA create tickets inside
RT. Then the answer is yes. RT supports ticket creation via e-mail but also
via the commandline interface/api's. So even within JIRA you can link to
these tools and create or update tickets when something important happens
with a JIRA ticket.

So on the RT side you can do allot, but this will depend on the API's that
JIRA has. Does it allow ticket creation via mail, does it have other ways
to create tickets, etc..

But for this point it will really depend on how your users will expect this
functionality to work, if they want all bells and whistles then I'd still
say that it's possible but the solution will become a bit more complicated
(as in scripting/creating custom dashboard items with RSS feeds from JIRA
or html forms for creating JIRA tickets, etc.).

So allot is possible, but I'd probably try to get them to like the e-mail
creation solution since it will probably integrates best (both ways).

*2) See JIRA ticket status from within RT. For this one, I have worked
around with a custom field which holds the ticket ID and is a link to the
JIRA issue. *

This can be a custom field, but you can also link URL's to a ticket as
parent/child (thus the full Jira URL or other things you want to link to a
ticket).

*3) For Salesforce, my understanding is that they want the sales reps to be
able to see what requests their customers have submitted. *

If Salesforce has it's own LDAP/user directory then RT can import this
periodically (e.g. extension LDAP Import).

At that point, all users will be in RT (although they will be created
eventually once they send an e-mail).

>From that point on you can create dashboards with reports on these users,
including Charts and other things (user summary pages, etc.).

So if these are the actual wishes then I think RT can fit in quite nicely
(though I'd still opt for replacing JIRA as wel haha).