[rt-users] non-admin user editing custom field values

Milt Epstein mepstein at illinois.edu
Thu Jun 19 15:41:53 EDT 2014

Greetings.

I'm using RT 4.0.2.  I set up some custom fields specific to a queue.
They are each of the type "Select one value", and for each of them I
defined a few values.

Can the users of this queue (who are not general RT admins) modify
these custom fields' values?  If so, how?

We have things set up where basically for each queue there's a group
that has access to it.  On the queue's Group Rights page, I gave this
group "View custom field values (SeeCustomField)" under the "General
rights" tab, and "Modify custom field values (ModifyCustomField)"
under the "Rights for Staff" tab.  Should that allow these users
(i.e., members of this group) to modify the custom fields' values?
One of the users tried, but couldn't see a way to do it.  Do they need
some other access?

On a custom field's page, I see that there is also a Group Rights
link/page, with similar permissions as the above two -- "View custom
fields (SeeCustomField)" under the "General rights" tab, and "Add,
modify and delete custom field values for objects (ModifyCustomField)"
under the "Rights for Staff" tab.  How do these permissions differ
from the above two?  Are they needed in addition to or instead of
them?  Should they allow these users to modify these values?

Thanks.

Milt Epstein
Applications Developer
Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS)
mepstein at illinois.edu