[rt-users] connecting correspondence to existing tickets

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Mar 5 10:57:03 EST 2014

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 05:10:04PM -0500, Eleanor J. Evans [Panix Staff] wrote:
> I have a situation where I am receiving updates from another automated
> ticketing system which do not include our ticket tag, but do use their
> own trouble ticket number in the Subject line.  I want to attach all
> the traffic from those updates to the same ticket.
>
> The simplest way appears to be check on create to see if the new
> ticket is from specific sender, filter their trouble ticket number out
> of the Subject line, and look for that value in the custom field of an
> existing ticket.  If I find one, merge the new ticket into that old
> ticket.  If not, set the custom field of this new ticket.
>
> Am I missing something easier in the new RT?  I started w/ 3.8, but
> we're up to 4.2.2 now and I may have missed some new helpful
> features...

You've described the workflow of RT-Extension-Nagios which you can
probably steal code from.  Alternately, if you don't want to create
the ticket and then merge it, you could use an override of
ExtractTicketId to 'fake' the existence of RT's subject tag so that RT
will just append to the existing ticket.
Documentation for those methods will be in a later release, currently
here:
https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/commit/7addb5fbabc298fc4bf8565998d3c64b746826e1
and it references another extension you can examine to see how it
works.

-kevin