[rt-users] Customizing Tickets to Include User Contact Data

dhtseany snellsg at neopcs.net
Wed May 7 10:01:37 EDT 2014

Hello everyone!
I'd like to start by saying I'm new to RT, but so far I've succeeded in
building it from source, and after some initial struggling, I finally have a
functioning RT system!

So, I've created some new ques for different functions within my IT repair
shop. One of the only things I can see that would require a little
additional customization for our needs is the ability to track 2 things: The
customer's info data (name, company name, addy, phone, etc) and some basic
details about the equipment I'm working with for this ticket (make, model,
S/N and P/N mainly).

I've been reading as much as I can about the product, but thus far I haven't
found a lot of useful information regarding what I * think * would be a
straightforward feature-set used by other industries outside of IT. Yes,
there are TONS of tech docs, but I haven't found much in regards to adding
this. I've read up on CustomFields but while tech docs are great, it didn't
tell me much about examples or usage. (Syntaxes are great and all, but if
I'm a step behind where the articles expect me to be, not sure how to form
these connections on my own :D)

I've been toying around with the idea of creating new users to represent
each client, but that seems cumbersome, and it didn't feel like I was in the
right place to accomplish my goals. So, what I'm asking and/or looking for
is more information about how/where I'd include this data. Ideally, I'd like
to be able to reference past cases for a customer or machine, but at this
point if I have to retype all of their data for each ticket, well, I'll take
what I can get :)

Thanks so much for any responses!

Sean