[rt-users] difference between user Comments and FreeformContactInfo

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Sep 16 11:05:47 EDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 11:51:52AM +0200, Christian Loos wrote:
> what is the difference between the user Comments field and the
> FreeformContactInfo field, from a user or admin view.
>
> The difference I noticed is that FreeformContactInfo have a column_map
> entry and Comments doesn't (in branch 4.0/column-map-validation
> explicitly is blacklisted from validation [1]).
>
> Are Comments meant for admin only viewable comments and
> FreeformContactInfo for comments viewable for non admin users?

Comments are shown by default in More About Requestors and contain
automated notes (Autocreated when added as watcher, etc) and notes
added from /Admin/Users/ while FreeformContactInfo is editable by the
user.

That branch is probably not definitive (it's still in review and being
worked on) but it sounds like it wants some clarification in what gets
column mapped.

It does appear looking at the code though that those two fields are
not well defined and that can be improved.

-kevin