[rt-users] charset troubles

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Thu Apr 30 15:08:00 EDT 2015

Hello

I just upgraded Apache to 2.4 and RT to latest 3.8, and I get a charset
problem: anything that enter RT through rt-mailgate is fine, but any non
ASCII character sent through the web interface gets corrupted: I get a ?
in a quare instead, which is usually what happens when ISO-8859-1
character was mistaken as UTF-8.

Older messages from before the upgrade display correctly, hence this is
really a problem at message POST time.

Using Firefox's developer toolbar, I can see the POST request: it
contains no information about the charset. I assume this is why e-mail
behave differently than the web interface: the former comes with
Content-Type header featuring the charset information, while the later
does not.

The page is being served as UTF-8, the form does not say anything about
accepted encoding (I tried patching to specify that, but it did not
change anything). Acting on a UTF-8 page, the client should post in
UTF-8, but I have not been able to verify that (it goes through
SSL,which does not help for checking what happens on the wire).

Anyone has an idea of what is wrong?  Here are the dependencies:

rt-3.8.17
p5-Apache-Session-1.93
p5-CGI-4.13
p5-CSS-Squish-0.10
p5-Cache-Simple-TimedExpiry-0.27
p5-Calendar-Simple-1.21
p5-Class-ReturnValue-0.55
p5-DBD-mysql-4.031
p5-DBI-1.633
p5-DBIx-SearchBuilder-1.66
p5-Data-ICal-0.22
p5-Email-Address-1.905
p5-FCGI-0.77
p5-File-ShareDir-1.102
p5-GD-2.53
p5-GDGraph-1.48
p5-GDTextUtil-0.86
p5-GnuPG-Interface-0.52
p5-HTML-Format-2.11
p5-HTML-Mason-1.56
p5-HTML-Parser-3.71
p5-HTML-RewriteAttributes-0.05
p5-HTML-Scrubber-0.11
p5-HTML-Tree-5.03
p5-HTTP-Server-Simple-0.44
p5-HTTP-Server-Simple-Mason-0.14
p5-Locale-Maketext-Fuzzy-0.11
p5-Locale-Maketext-Lexicon-1.00
p5-Log-Dispatch-2.44
p5-MIME-Types-2.09
p5-MIME-tools-5.505
p5-MailTools-2.14
p5-Module-Refresh-0.17
p5-Module-Versions-Report-1.06
p5-Net-3.05
p5-Net-Server-2.008
p5-PerlIO-eol-0.14
p5-Regexp-Common-2013031301
p5-Term-ReadKey-2.32
p5-Text-Autoformat-1.669004
p5-Text-Quoted-2.08
p5-Text-Template-1.46
p5-Text-WikiFormat-0.81
p5-Text-Wrapper-1.04
p5-Time-modules-2013.0912
p5-TimeDate-2.30
p5-Tree-Simple-1.23
p5-UNIVERSAL-require-0.17
p5-XML-RSS-1.56
p5-XML-Simple-2.20
p5-libwww-6.13
perl-5.20.2
apache-2.4.12
apr-1.5.1
apr-util-1.5.4
mod_fcgid-2.3.9
mod_perl-2.0.8
p5-libapreq2-2.12
postgresql-9.4.1

Relevant httpd.conf part for RT:
   AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

   <Directory "/usr/pkg/share/rt3/html/NoAuth/images/">
        SetHandler      none
        Options         -ExecCGI
        allow from all
   </Directory>

   <Directory "/usr/pkg/share/rt3/html">
        AddDefaultCharset       UTF-8
        SetHandler      fcgid-script
        Options         +ExecCGI
   </dIRectory>

In RT_SiteConfig.pm all I have about encoding if for e-mail:
Set(@EmailInputEncodings, qw(utf-8 iso-8859-1 us-ascii
windows-1252));Set($EmailOutputEncoding ,  'iso-8859-1');

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz
manu at netbsd.org