[rt-users] Trouble/Error with Web deployment httpd/apache/mod_fcgid

dwdixon dwdixon at umich.edu
Wed Dec 2 12:45:29 EST 2015

Got it, so I removed the ServerName from httpd.conf and set it back to the
default of nothing set for ServerName in httpd.conf.  The error you said was
not serious was what triggered me to start messing with ServerName in
httpd.conf so I think that was my problem there.  I left ServerName set to
rt-ir-sandbox.snip.snip.snip.edu and restarted httpd (no worries on the
question about restarting httpd after each config change, but, yes- I have
been restarting httpd after every config change).

Once I removed the ServerName from httpd.conf and left it only in rt.conf
I'm starting to see some strange(r) behavior, first when I restart httpd I'm
getting:

# service httpd restart
Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting httpd: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
                                                           [  OK  ]

On the same (local) server from a private/incognito browser window I'm now
getting the RT login page when I type in the fqdn
(rt-ir-sandbox.snip.snip.snip.edu) in the address bar!!  WHOO HOO PROGRESS!

*/****The problem was that even after running "make fixperms" (which
apparently sets everything it touches to be owned by root:nobody) the apache
user was not in the nobody group so the apache user couldn't access anything
it needed to!!...so after manually making the apache user a member of the
nobody group I magically got the RT login screen as I described
above!...****/*

However...there is still some major strangeness/problems going on.  When I
type localhost in a new incognito browser I get nothing....also when trying
to access the RT login page from a external resource to the server hosting
RT I'm also getting nothing ("No data received...ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE)...which
is obviously a big problem.

So PROGRESS is good, at least I'm now getting the RT login page locally on
the server while using the fqdn in the local browser on the server...but
something is still very much off...also here is my redacted RT_SiteConfig.pm
... I've had the WebDomain set to rt-ir-sandbox.snip.snip.snip.edu
throughout this troubleshooting duration:

Set( $CommentAddress, 'RT-IR-Test-Comment at snip.edu' );
Set( $CorrespondAddress, 'RT-IR-Test-Correspond at snip.edu' );
Set( $DatabaseHost, 'localhost' );
Set( $DatabaseName, 'rt4' );
Set( $DatabasePassword, 'REDACTED' );
Set( $DatabasePort, '' );
Set( $DatabaseType, 'mysql' );
Set( $DatabaseUser, 'rt_user' );
Set( $Organization, 'rt-ir-sandbox.snip.snip.snip.edu' );
Set( $OwnerEmail, 'RT-IR-Bounce at snip.edu' );
Set( $SendmailPath, '/usr/sbin/sendmail' );
Set( $WebDomain, 'rt-ir-sandbox.snip.snip.snip.edu' );
Set( $WebPort, '80' );
# Set( $WebBaseURL, 'hxxp://rt-ir-sandbox.snip.snip.snip.edu' );  #
Presently commented out
Set( $rtname, 'rt-ir-sandbox.snip.snip.snip.edu' );
1;

Thanks again in advance!

-Drew