[rt-users] Migrating from MySql to Oracle

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Jan 22 16:43:03 EST 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:05:06PM +0000, Hummer, Greg wrote:
> I work at a support desk currently using RT 4.0.6 on a MySQL server and we need
> to switch to RT 4.2.0 on a Oracle Server for fulltext search among other thing.
> The database administrators are not very familiar with RT, but they have
> successfully upgraded 4.0.6 MySQL to 4.2.0 MySQL on a test server.

4.2.0 is from October of 2013, you should be installing 4.2.9

Be aware, 4.2.0 also contains a number of bugs in rt-serializer and
rt-importer, and there are additional fixes which will be included in
4.2.10.

> My question, is there any step by step document, guidance, or video that I can
> provide to the DBA’s to assist them in the conversion to Oracle?

Not that I'm aware of.

> 1. They should take the database for 4.2.0 on the MySQL server and use [1]
> RT-Validator to ensure the database is self-consistent.
>
> 2. Next they should use [2] RT-Serializer to write out the RT database to a
> disk. During the process of using RT-Serializer, the tech team needs to enable
> the Clone feature.
>
> 3. Finally, they need to use [3] RT-Importer to import the cloned, serialized
> database from the disk onto the Oracle Database with RT4.2 already installed.

This is correct

> Are the utilities described above easily found and operated? I have never seen
> the back end of RT.

ls /opt/rt4/sbin

> How long should the conversion take with a database containing 108,000 tickets?

"Depends on your data set"
You will of course be testing this before just going live on Oracle,
use that opportunity to time the conversion.

-kevin