[rt-users] HTML -> text conversion

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Tue Mar 31 03:45:40 EDT 2015

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:31:38 +0300 Vlad Shpolyanskiy
<vlad.shpolyanskiy at gmail.com> wrote:
> [warning]: Could not find or run external 'w3m' HTML formatter in $PATH
> (/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin) -- you may need to install it or provide
> the full path (/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/RT/Interface/Email.pm:1849)

This means that your system does not have the binary installed.  You
will need to "yum install w3m" or "apt-get install w3m" so that your
system has it.  Having the perl module that knows how to talk to w3m
does no good if w3m itself is not installed.

If you have suggestions for how the wording of the error message quoted
above could be any clearer, I'd appreciate feedback.

> Exactly, you are right. But RT falls back to internal converter as it does
> not see w3m installed for ever reason.

If the w3m binary is already installed, but not
in /sbin, /bin, /usr/sbin, or /usr/bin (the $PATH listed above), then
you'll need to set $HTMLFormatter to the full path to the w3m binary
itself -- not the .pm file.

 - Alex