[rt-users] HTML -> text conversion

Vlad Shpolyanskiy vlad.shpolyanskiy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 02:31:38 EDT 2015

Hi!
Please, see my comments below.

30 марта 2015 г. 20:05 пользователь "Alex Vandiver" <
alexmv at bestpractical.com> написал:

> On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:18:03 +0300 "Vlad V. Shpolyanskiy"
> <vlad.shpolyanskiy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > But while adding to RT_siteconfig string
> > Set($HTMLFormatter,
'/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/HTML/FormatText/W3m.pm');

> If you want to use w3m, all you need is:
>
>     Set($HTMLFormatter, 'w3m');
I've tried this - no luck.

[warning]: Could not find or run external 'w3m' HTML formatter in $PATH
(/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin) -- you may need to install it or provide
the full path (/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/RT/Interface/Email.pm:1849)

> The reference to setting a full path is if the w3m _binary_ is not in
> your PATH.  Setting it to the .pm file is incorrect.  Also note that
> since w3m is the first program that RT will attempt to use, there is
> generally no need to explicitly set $HTMLFormatter to w3m _at _all_
> unless you wish to use a binary in an unusual location.

Exactly, you are right. But RT falls back to internal converter as it does
not see w3m installed for ever reason.

> > The main idea is to avoid double newlines for outlook emails.
> > I'll appreciate any advice regarding this.
>
> You may be interested in
> https://docs.bestpractical.com/RT_Config#CheckMoreMSMailHeaders
The does not work too.
Actually digging deeper into this turns out that that's not double newlines
issue.
While composing email in html format Outlook adds <p></p> tag when user
press's enter along with MsoNormal defenition class.

This class has a lot of attributes like font size, margins and so on.

But after passing through RT all these defenitions are removed.

As a result  I get email with standard spacing between paragraphs which
looks like double newline.