[rt-users] Customizing the column mapRE: Time left... RE: Display time worked in search results in hours only

Jim Brandt jbrandt at bestpractical.com
Tue Feb 2 13:21:28 EST 2016

If you modify the code in place, your changes will get overwritten when
you upgrade (even a minor upgrade). In general, options for changes are:

1) Change in place. Will get squashed on upgrade, so keep a copy
somewhere and make a note to reapply after upgrades.

2) Create a local directory in your rt directory and override (duplicate
the directory structure and file under local).

3) Use callbacks which add to the code without overriding.

4) Create an extension using the techniques above to manage the changes
in a separate package (and possibly share with others).

Any of the above will work for making custom changes. I think an
extension that allows you to set a preferred format via config and then
uses that over the default in DurationAsString would be very useful. (RT
features often begin life as extensions, then get pulled into core.)