[rt-users] Consulting back-office or other departments without notifying requestor

Lieven Bridts Lieven.Bridts at puurs.be
Tue Feb 23 15:04:40 EST 2016

Hello group,

We're using RT for several years now and upgraded recently to RT 4.4
A lot of our tickets involve requests where the owner of the ticket needs to make some inquiries or put other departments at work.
e.g. As a response to a ticket a new user account has to be created and some actions like delivering devices (smartphone, laptop) or giving access to applications has to be done by other departments.

We could manually send out some answers or replies with the involved departments  in CC:
But, since these are not comments,  by default the requestor gets all the correspondence as well, e.g. when the department answers that the smartphone is ready to be picked up.
This is not what we want.

The situation above can be compared with the queue "Investigations" in RTIR where new tickets are created, linked to the original one, but without notifying the requestor(s)
Installing RTIR seems like overkill, since this has little or nothing to do with incidents.

What is the best practice to create a working solution for this problem?
Has anyone done this before? Are there some ready-made contributions that I can use?
My knowledge of Perl is rather limited, so I could create a scrip but this should mainly be based on copy-pasting and little adjustments of examples.

Much obliged,
Lieven