[rt-users] Greetings from a New RT user in Toronto.

Reza reza.toronto at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 02:17:52 EDT 2016

Many thanks to my first 3 teachers, Kenneth Crocker, Alex Hall and Chris
McClement, for guiding me to the right direction.

Ken, many thanks for your generosity for passing me a copy of your book
"Request Tracker for Beginners - A Topical Guide" ( also available on
Amazon if those of you newbie seeking knowledge )

Many thanks to the authors of "RT Essentials" published by O'Reilly.
This is also a good start for the fundamental basics for RT.

The last 24-48 hrs has been an amazing learning experience.  I feel
as-if I can do Kung Fu now :)

 From my recent agenda of:

 1. Create Random Ticket numbers.
 2. Suppress "RT System Itself - Outgoing email recorded"
 3. Customization of Auto ticket reply.
 4. Assigning tickets / transferring to someone else (when not logged in
    as root)
 5. 3rd Party CRM integration basics.
 6. How to Customize the RT at a glance (Just added to my list for Oct
    25, 2016)

I have learned points #2, #3, #4.

Can anyone here guide me to the proper direction to accomplish #1
(Generating random ticket number versus ascending ticket numbers), and
guide me towards a fundamentally basic API example for 3rd Party CRM
integration?

The new things I've learned:

 1. Creating Queues
 2. Creating Memberships
 3. Understanding Group Permissions
 4. Taking ownership of a ticket
 5. Assigning tickets to someone else
 6. Basic Ticket operations (Open, Close, Delete, Forward, Stealing etc)

I'm learning that RT is not only for managing Support Tickets, but it
can also be used to followup on Sales leads etc (in the same manner as a
support ticket is handled), but I have yet to understand how it can be
used in Project Management.   A combination of active / hands on
learning is needed here, in parallel to passive learning.  That's the
hardest part because I'm not a very good passive learner (learning
through reading).

I'm anticipating my status updates on this learning curve will serve as
an agenda for the new folks adapting RT.

In the mean time, I will be reading Ken's "Request Tracker for
Beginners" guide till I pass out.

Thanks for welcoming me to the community.

Cheers!
Reza.