[rt-users] Greetings from a New RT user in Toronto.

Jeffrey Pilant jeffrey.pilant at bayer.com
Tue Oct 25 10:12:14 EDT 2016

Reza writes:
>The last 24-48 hrs has been an amazing learning experience.  I feel
>as-if I can do Kung Fu now :)
>
> From my recent agenda of:
>
> 1. Create Random Ticket numbers.
> 2. Suppress "RT System Itself - Outgoing email recorded"
> 3. Customization of Auto ticket reply.
> 4. Assigning tickets / transferring to someone else (when not logged in
>    as root)
> 5. 3rd Party CRM integration basics.
> 6. How to Customize the RT at a glance (Just added to my list for Oct
>    25, 2016)
>
>I have learned points #2, #3, #4.
>
>Can anyone here guide me to the proper direction to accomplish #1
>(Generating random ticket number versus ascending ticket numbers), and
>guide me towards a fundamentally basic API example for 3rd Party CRM
>integration?

In order to generate a random ticket ID, you need a random number generator, a min and max ID number allowed, and a way to determine if any given ID has already been used.  You then need to replace the standard SQL that gets the current max ID and adds one to assign a new ID.  I don't know where that code is.  As you fill the IDs, generating a new ID becomes harder and harder, because you will hit duplicate entries in the random generating process.  You also loose the relation of ID#s to date order.  Sorting a list of IDs by ID number will randomize the time that the IDs occur, requiring reports to be modified to be sorted by some other key.

Basically, you need a very strong reason to break the defaults the program uses, because there is a lot of work needed to rewrite the many things that use the defaults, and the time spent verifying that you found all the bits that need to be changed.

What is your use case?

/jeff
The information contained in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, and/or
legally privileged.  Inadvertent disclosure of this message does not
constitute a waiver of any privilege.  If you receive this message in
error, please do not directly or indirectly use, print, copy, forward,
or disclose any part of this message.  Please also delete this e-mail
and all copies and notify the sender.  Thank you.