[rt-users] "Hidden" tickets suddenly appear

Jeff Blaine jblaine at kickflop.net
Tue Oct 25 12:00:36 EDT 2016

RT 4.2.13 backed by PostgreSQL, though I feel like we've been
experiencing the following for many versions.

I've been suspect for quite some time, but thought maybe I was losing my
mind instead. I've confirmed finally that I am not losing my mind re: RT
in this specific case. We are definitely seeing the following situation.

I'm curious if anyone has thoughts as to where to start debugging the
root cause.

I use a simple saved search as my view into RT at work. Others using
this queue also use a similar one. The query is:

    Queue = 'atcc-help'
    AND
       (
          Status = 'new'
          OR Status = 'open'
          OR Status = 'stalled'
       )
    AND (
           Owner = 'Nobody'
           OR Owner = 'jblaine at our.org'
        )

The display settings for the search have "Rows: Unlimited"

It results in a daily list of 70-120 tickets.

We are seeing tickets appear in this list, where they have never
appeared in the list before, after some period of being in the queue. In
most cases, the mystery ticket has a "Created" date of more than a few
weeks ago. The most recent case was 5 months. That is, a ticket with
"Created" of around 5 months ago, and in "new" status, showed up in the
results of the search above where it never had shown up before.

As you can imagine, this is terrible for customer service. Luckily it
seems pretty rare. I would estimate that we see this happen ~5 times per
year, and then have to start the very awkward conversation about how the
ticket "slipped through our cracks".

Thoughts very welcome.

Jeff