[rt-users] Using rt4-fcgi with RT on Debian?

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Fri Sep 2 15:47:58 EDT 2016

Hi Alex,

[I see you replied since I started this email.]

Some comments inline, but first let me say:

I've used Debian for a long time. I've also used RT for a while - both
installed via the deb packages and installed from source. With either
route, it is pretty painless.

For installing from source, all the perl dependencies are available
for RT 4.4.1 in jessie, jessie backports, and stretch repositories.

jessie backports
libencode-perl

stretch
libdata-page-pageset-perl
libhtml-formattext-withlinks-andtables-perl

Here is the list of dependency packages:

libterm-readkey-perl
libregexp-common-net-cidr-perl
libencode-perl
starlet
libtext-wikiformat-perl
libtime-parsedate-perl
libuniversal-require-perl
libtree-simple-perl
libdata-page-pageset-perl
libdatetime-perl
libmodule-versions-report-perl
libipc-run3-perl
libdata-guid-perl
libemail-address-list-perl
liblocale-maketext-fuzzy-perl
libxml-rss-perl
libhtml-mason-psgihandler-perl
libtext-wrapper-perl
libhtml-mason-perl
libdata-ical-perl
libhtml-scrubber-perl
librole-basic-perl
libdatetime-format-natural-perl
libsymbol-global-name-perl
libscope-upper-perl
liblocale-maketext-lexicon-perl
libdbix-searchbuilder-perl
libhtml-quoted-perl
libconvert-color-perl
libdate-extract-perl
libjson-perl
libtext-quoted-perl
libcss-squish-perl
libhtml-rewriteattributes-perl
libhtml-formattext-withlinks-andtables-perl
libtext-password-pronounceable-perl
libapache-session-perl
libbusiness-hours-perl
libmime-tools-perl
libregexp-ipv6-perl
libnet-cidr-perl
libdate-manip-perl
libcrypt-eksblowfish-perl
libgd-graph-perl
libperlio-eol-perl
libgnupg-interface-perl
libipc-run-perl
libgraphviz-perl
libcrypt-x509-perl
libstring-shellquote-perl
libcrypt-ssleay-perl
libcss-minifier-xs-perl
libjavascript-minifier-xs-perl

You'll want to pin the preferences for those other repositories like so:

% head -n -0 /etc/apt/preferences.d/*
==> /etc/apt/preferences.d/100_request_tracker_4_4_packages_from_jessie_backports
<==
Package: libencode-perl
Pin: release n=jessie-backports
Pin-Priority: 995

==> /etc/apt/preferences.d/200_request_tracker_4_4_packages_from_stretch <==
Package: libdata-page-pageset-perl
Pin: release n=stretch
Pin-Priority: 995

Package: libhtml-formattext-withlinks-andtables-perl
Pin: release n=stretch
Pin-Priority: 995

==> /etc/apt/preferences.d/500_stretch_pinning <==
Package: *
Pin: release n=stretch
Pin-Priority: 90

And lastly, when installing (from source) you'll need to tweak a line
in the rt-test-dependencies file:

rt-4.4.1/sbin/rt-test-dependencies

remove this line:
% grep Mozilla rt-4.4.1/sbin/rt-test-dependencies
Mozilla::CA

That perl module is covered by a Debian package by a different name.

Here is the configure I use. Very similar to the Debian package configure:

./configure --enable-graphviz --enable-gd --enable-gpg
--with-rt-group=root --with-web-user=www-data
--with-web-group=www-data --with-web-handler=fastcgi
--with-libs-group=root --with-db-type=Pg --with-db-dba=postgres

You'll want to change the web-handler to fcgi.

That is the gist of installing from source.

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Alex Hall <ahall at autodist.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I thought I'd start a new thread for this, since the question got asked in a
> thread that didn't specifically relate to FCGI. I was told by one list
> member to install the rt4-fcgi package to help serve RT on Debian through
> Nginx. I've done so, but am not sure how to get it working or what commands,
> if any, are available.
>
> I have the 'rt' site in Nginx set to use 127.0.0.1:8485, and that works
> initially if I use spawn-fcgi. However, I then run into the problem I had
> last week, where Firefox says the page isn't redirecting properly. The
> message is:

> The page isn’t redirecting properly
> Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this
> address in a way that will never complete.

Look at the HTTP headers and see what is exactly happening. Use
Firebug, or LiveHTTPHeaders, or the developer tools in Chrom(e|ium).

> The initial page works correctly, but I get the above as soon as I log in.
> If I run the useful command I just found, tail -f /var/log/messages, I see
> only come configuration problems from an hour before when I most recently
> tried to access the site. The Nginx error log for RT is empty, and the
> access log shows only the failed attempts I made earlier in the day.

Sure. It sounds like nginx doesn't actually serve anything, thus
nothing to log. Perhaps tweak logging for nginx.

> I have a feeling that my changes to the name, location, and other settings
> just haven't taken effect yet.

>From your reply it sounds like you are on the right track.

Cheers!

-m