[rt-users] Moving entire RT instance between two servers?

Parish, Brent bparish at cognex.com
Wed Sep 7 08:29:35 EDT 2016

Hi Alex

I recently shifted from physical server to VM.
First I downloaded the RT source and ran the configure and make fixdeps to get all the required Perl modules on the target machine.
(I also had some other modules I needed outside of core for extensions and custom code, had to get those by hand)

Then (like you said) I simply tar’ed up /opt/rt4 and moved it over, and copied over the mail config (/etc/aliases, /etc/postfix/main.cf, etc), as well as Apache config files.

I used mysqldump to copy the database over

I recommend removing var/mason_data/obj/*  (clear Mason Cache) after the move, and for cleanliness I generally reset all the logs too (apache, rt, etc).
If you are concerned, you could also increase verbosity on Apache logs for a bit to keep an eye on things.

Just double check all your config files (mail, RT, and Apache) for things like hostname or something else specific to new machine)

-          Brent