[rt-users] what can custom fields do?

Alex Hall ahall at autodist.com
Wed Sep 21 16:55:07 EDT 2016

Hi all,
I'm planning to add a "type" field globally. Initially, this will be a list
containing "discussion", "problem", and, maybe, "critical issue". What I'm
wondering, though, is whether the selection of a value from this list can
do anything? That is, could selecting "discussion" force the priority to 0,
while "critical" would force it to 40? I hope so, so I can add a "severity"
dropdown list, letting users select from five importance levels and not
worry about--or mis-type--the actual number.

Could I use this field in searches, like "type:problem"? What else can
custom fields do, if anything, or are they really only for searching and
letting users see details the default RT doesn't include?

--
Alex Hall
Automatic Distributors, IT department
ahall at autodist.com