[rt-users] MySQL backups of RT 4.4.1 truncated (Cena, Stephen (ext. 300))

Cena, Stephen (ext. 300) SJC at qvii.com
Sat Jan 28 09:14:11 EST 2017

It looks like I've found the problems. To recap: I've got MySQL Server 5.7 on a Windows Server 2012 host running an RT database of ~20GB. My mysqldump backups started becoming truncated for some reason.

I'm not sure how much of this is relevant to Windows, but it turns out this is what was happening:
Using the --results-file= instead of > was masking a "max_allowed_packet" problem. Once I switched my backup scripts to use the redirect it appeared. The backup is still crashing, but the size is larger now. I'm tweaking my max_allowed_packet size to get it stable.

Also, I saw a note that if you're dumping data to the local host that using "shared memory" is faster than a TCP connection to local host. I'm tempted to try it but if anyone has any experience there I'd appreciate it.

Thank you to everyone who helped debug this with me. I hope this helps someone in the future!

Stephen Cena
Senior Systems Administrator
Quality Vision International, Inc.
Phone: (585) 544-0450 x300