[Rtir] Question About RT-IR

Wes Young wcyoung at buffalo.edu
Fri Mar 6 06:38:24 EST 2009

I wrote some code that parses the ArcSight XML a few years ago. I'm in
the process of changing it though. Right now it uses the
RT::Client::REST to search for existing tickets based on tickets open
with the right IP address.

I'm changing it up to clean up the ArcSight XML and translate it to
IDMEF, wrap it up in PGP and send it to the RTIR system for processing
as an "Incident Report".

The arcsight XML (the way it comes out) is really wanky, so I use a
bunch of XML::Simple type stuff to re-hash it out and then the REST
client to search for open tickets, and do the ... rest. Been working
"ok" for the last two years, still a bit clunkier than i'd like it to
be (which is why i'm moving to the email model to offload some of the
code). I'd use the straight up ArcSight emails, but it's much easier
to parse out their XML than their emails.

I had to add a few custom fields like _RTIR_Address (in addition to
_RTIR_IP), allowing me to open a ticket for a single address and
search on it when that "attacker" re-surfaced in the same time-span as
the ticket was open.

Drop me a note offlist, i'll send you the raw Arcsight XML parsing
code if you want it. It's awful, but it should get you moving in the
right direction.