[Rtir] RTIR - going beyond incidents, incident reports, investigations, blocks

pj loh optimints at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 23:21:25 EDT 2014

Hi all,

This is my second post. I've been exploring RT/ RTIR for the past 1 or 2
months, trying to determine how it can be customised to fit our workflow.
Conditions, scrips, and templates are great for building in much
customisation and they have been helpful in my quest.

Now, I have a problem to which I've not been able to identify a suitable
solution.

In our workflow, we normally generate reports at the end of an incident to
document findings and recommendations etc. Reports will go through
revisions and management approvals, so I've been thinking how to fit this
into RT/ RTIR. One idea I've been thinking about over the past few days is
to create a new queue and associated lifecycle, say called Reports, use the
___Approvals queue for the approval workflow. However, I've no idea how I
can allow one to associate the tickets in this new Reports queue to an
Incident ticket like how Incident reports, Investigations and Blocks are
associated with Incidents. Also, how is it possible to allow one to create
a Reports ticket from the Incident display view, just like what we can do
for Investigations, Blocks, etc. Is it possible to do something like this
without having to go into the internals of RT/ RTIR?

Another alternative is to just build on the Blocks ticket, which I've
managed to build an Approval workflow around it (every block ticket
generates an Approvals ticket which needs to be approved before the Block
ticket is allowed to proceed). Not ideal and most elegant but I think it
should work.

If someone can point me in the right direction, I thank you in advance.

PJ