[svk-devel] Patch: -g for diff

svk at rjlov.com svk at rjlov.com
Wed Aug 2 19:36:51 EDT 2006

Hi David.

> I'm not really sure how generally useful this is, though.  After all,
> it seems to me that it's only useful if you're going to the trouble of
> putting something like "SVKGDIFF=/path/to/my/gdiff" in your dotfiles,
> and if you already have to go to the trouble of editing your dotfiles,
> it seems easy enough to just put in an alias "gsvk" which sets SVKDIFF
> to your GUI client.  This also scales past two diff programs.  Does
> that sound reasonable?

Yeah, you're right, but I guess I was just trying to make the command
line interface work in a similar way to Clearcase, which I used for many
years.  (Maybe that alone is reason to reject it! :) )

Perhaps it could be argued that setting a single environment variable is
marginally easier than creating an alias, and there exist people who are
comfortable with the former but not the latter.

The other possible reason that you might like this patch is if you feel
it's something that enough people might want to do that they shouldn't
have to dream up a method to do it.  This way, the answer is right there
in "svk help diff".

I'm the first to admit that these aren't hugely compelling reasons. :)
Anyways, I'm not particularly fussed if nobody feels it's worth
integrating. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Cheers,
  Richard
--
  Richard Lovejoy