[svk-devel] Re: a few locking-related issues

David Glasser glasser at mit.edu
Fri Aug 18 15:15:37 EDT 2006

On 8/18/06, Michael Brouwer <mb.7766 at gmail.com> wrote:
> However from a high level view wouldn't it make more sense to provide 2 APIs
> to svk itself:
>
> 1) Access to and locking of the depotmap
> 2) Access to and locking of checkout paths

Hmm, interesting. One issue is that checkout paths are only meaningful
in the context of a fixed depotmap anyway.  But on the other hand,
splitting out the "config" into "checkout" and "depotmap" files might
be good for other reasons.

> This split would make it easier to refactor the checkout code to store the
> Data::Hierarchy for a given working copy locally in that working copy (f.e.
> in a SVK or .svk dir) while keeping the depotmap and depots where they are
> today.

I'm not sure that that's entirely a win though -- I had been thinking
that a good potential use for floating checkouts would be checkouts
that multiple users could update, which would mean you'd want the
depotmap to be there too.

--dave

--
David Glasser | glasser at mit.edu | http://www.davidglasser.net/