[svk-devel] Re: a few locking-related issues

Daniel Jacobowitz drow at false.org
Fri Aug 18 15:44:52 EDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 03:15:37PM -0400, David Glasser wrote:
> >This split would make it easier to refactor the checkout code to store the
> >Data::Hierarchy for a given working copy locally in that working copy (f.e.
> >in a SVK or .svk dir) while keeping the depotmap and depots where they are
> >today.
>
> I'm not sure that that's entirely a win though -- I had been thinking
> that a good potential use for floating checkouts would be checkouts
> that multiple users could update, which would mean you'd want the
> depotmap to be there too.

Which is one of the reasons I implemented it that way.

However, the floating checkouts do in some circumstances want
to get back at the original $SVKROOT in some circumstances.
I got as far (in conversation with Derek) as agreeing that this
area needed to be reworked, but not as far as doing it.

His reasonable suggestion was that we shouldn't look for .svk
directories until we have potential checkout paths to operate
on.  So that you could say:

  svk info /home/gcc/dev

from anywhere on the filesystem, and find /home/gcc/dev/.svk.  I just
don't know how to make that work yet.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery