[svk-devel] "checkout -N" + "update" doesn't behave like Subversion

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 18 14:16:56 EDT 2006

Hi,

My work's SVN repository is really really large, and I really only
need to be working on a subset of the tree.  Unfortunately the subset
of the tree isn't a single subtree.  When using subversion I would do
the following:

  svn co -N <path>/trunk src
  cd src
  svn update libs
  svn update -N clients
  cd clients
  svn update myclient

Then I could "svn update" and "svn commit" from the top-level and all
changes to the tree would get committed into a single changeset.

Unfortunately, SVK's "checkout -N" doesn't work this way.

[warlord at cliodev foo]$ svk co -N /foo/cmdln-lib src2 Syncing /foo/cmdln-lib(/local/cmdln-lib) in /home/warlord/src/foo/src2 to 48627.
[warlord at cliodev foo]$ cd src2/
[warlord at cliodev src2]$ svk update libs2
Syncing /foo/cmdln-lib/libs2(/local/cmdln-lib/libs2) in /home/warlord/src/foo/src2/libs2 to 48627.
Checkout directory gone. Use 'checkout /foo/cmdln-lib/libs2 libs2' instead.
[warlord at cliodev src2]$ mkdir libs2
[warlord at cliodev src2]$ svk update libs2
Syncing /foo/cmdln-lib/libs2(/local/cmdln-lib/libs2) in /home/warlord/src/foo/src2/libs2 to 48627.
[warlord at cliodev src2]$ ls -l libs2/
total 0

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

-derek