[svk-devel] Confused about how to manage a forked project

Michael Brouwer mb.7766 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 11:49:43 EDT 2006

You don't really need a local branch at all.

A way to branching project a into repository b is

svk mirror PROJECT-A-URL //mirrors/a
svk mirror PROJECT-B-URL //mirrors/b
svk sync -a
svk mkdir -p //mirrors/b/branches -m "Made branches dir."
svk sm -B //mirrors/a/trunk //mirrors/b/branches/bbranchofa
svk co //mirrors/b/branches/bbranchofa
cd bbranchofa
[...hack away...commit changes...rinse..repeat...]
# To get upstream changes from PROJECT-A-URL use either
svk pull
# which gets you a commit in your branch for each upstream commit, or run
svk sync -a
svk sm //mirrors/a/trunk .
# resolve conflicts, test etc.
svk ci
# To make a single local commit for a set of upstream changes and allow for
local testing first.

Now any user of the PROJECT-B-URL can use either svk or just plain svn to
hack on the local branch of project-a.  Only those people actually pulling
in upstream changes need a mirror of both repositories.  In addition since
svk stores merge tracking info as properties in the branch on the
PROJECT-B-URL repository, the entire branched history is preserved in that
repository and in ever developers mirror of it.

Note that even if you have a local branch as an intermediate between the 2
mirrors such as suggested earlier in this thread, the merge history of the
project still travels with the project to whatever svn repository you sm -B
it to.

Michael