[svk-devel] svk 2 on Win32 newbie question, hopefully not too annoying...

David Golden xdaveg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 22:11:35 EST 2007

On 2/25/07, Chris Hecker <checker at d6.com> wrote:
> So, my question is:  If I want to do a fairly vanilla svk use case,
> namely have a svn 1.4.x repository on a server, accessed using an ssh
> tunnel and svnserve, and have a local svk mirror of the svn repository
> so I can work locally with history, and then merge back and forth from
> the server, can I just install the 2.0.0 binary on the SVKWin32 wiki
> page and it will "just work"?

Maybe.  :-)  Generally, it should.  Recent issues have been reported
by someone with TortoiseSVN installed.  However, I have tried that as
well and have had no problems.

> More details:  I have ActivePerl installed...does that package need
> Strawberry Perl, and are there conflicts between the two?  Will it run
> correctly if I have ActivePerl installed already?  If I want to stick
> with ActivePerl (and I have vc++) should I build svk myself using the
> instructions on BuildingFromSourceWithVS2005 (which have various patches
> that need to be applied, and seems a little scary)?

The SVK "binary" just bundles its own perl interpreter -- in this
case, one based on Strawberry Perl.  There should be no conflicts as
long as you have ActiveState's directory earlier in your PATH
environment variable.  (So that running "perl" from the command line
resolves to the ActiveState directory.)  I'd suggest installing it and
testing it out on a non-critical portion of your repository as well as
testing some Perl programs (even "perl -V") to confirm that it still
works.

That said, recent fixes to SVN::Mirror in the repository are pretty
critical for sync'ing mirrors to HEAD, so you might want to compile
for ActiveState to take advantage of the latest fixes.

Best of luck,
David