[svk-devel] svk 2.0.0 is released. [win32]

Kevin Light klight at walkertechnical.com
Fri Jan 5 15:38:15 EST 2007

----- David Golden <xdaveg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/5/07, Kevin Light <klight at walkertechnical.com> wrote:
> > ----- David Golden <xdaveg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > One annoyance was that I needed to set $ENV{LANG} to avoid a ton
> of
> > > warnings about uninitialized variables.  I tried tracking it down
> but
> > > gave up trying to follow the calling chain from SVK::Util through
> all
> > > the various locale and encoding modules that get dynamically
> loaded
> > > at
> > > runtime.
> >
> > I forgot the solution to this until I built it yesterday.  Install
> Win32::Console (which installs cleanly on Strawberry BTW) and the
> encoding issues go away.
>
> Does SVK use Win32::Console itself?  Or does it get called in by some
> subsidiary locale handling module?  It would be helpful to know
> whether this is a hidden dependency for other things to work properly
> -- if so, I may put it on the list for automatic inclusion with
> Vanilla Perl distributions.

SVK doesn't directly use it.  A while back I had traced the dependency tree and somehow one of the locale functions conditionally checks for Win32::Console to try to figure out the proper encoding.  Ultimately it's supposed to default to utf8, but fails at some point (to undef I believe).  I don't remember the details, but I could probably trace it again.  I remember it being outside of the SVK tree, but I'm not sure if it was a core module or not.

http://colabti.de/irclogger/irclogger_log/svk?date=2005-03-30,Wed#l259 makes reference to the Win32 dependencies when the first Win32 releases were built.  I'm not sure that all of those dependencies still exist, but it was my clue the first time I ran into the problem.

Kevin