[svk-devel] SVK sneaker-net question

Chia-Liang Kao clkao at clkao.org
Wed Jan 10 10:53:22 EST 2007

On 10/01/07, Mark E. Hamilton <mhamilt at sandia.gov> wrote:
> I've been tasked to research Subversion and SVK. One of the things we'd
> like to be able to do is to share a repository with a location that
> doesn't have, and will never have, network access to the 'master'
> repository. It seems clear from R. Brown's "SVK - a visual guide" and
> the Bieber Labs tutorial that once a mirrored path is created in a depot
> and disconnected that it can never be modified until it's reconnected.
>
> This seems to imply that we could create a new mirror of the master
> repository, take it to the remote machine, replace the mirrored path in
> the depot with it, then update our local branch with those changes and
> vice-versa. Just is similarly, we could then bring back a copy of the
> remote depot, and merge the changes back into the master repository.
>
> Is this reasonable and supported, or am I all wet? Is there a better way
> of doing this?

I think what you really want is some out-of-bound means to perform the
"sync" operation that updates a mirror from its master.  This is
certainly doable, you need to annotate the incoming revisions with
svk's mirror metadata, and load into the mirror path.  This is
basically the opposite operation of what utils/pullyu is doing.

For merging changes back to master without normal network link, you
can already use the svk patch generated by push -P to do so.

Cheers,
CLK