[svk-devel] Memory use explosion on large delete

Daniel Jacobowitz drow at false.org
Sat Jan 27 17:20:30 EST 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 03:48:15PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> Some more information on the problem I reported on IRC this afternoon.
>
> I maintain an SVK mirror of GCC (two actually).  One of the machines
> with a mirror ran out of memory last night and barely staggered back to
> life, and the other is still down.  Richard Earnshaw experienced
> something similar, and found that his happened while svk was mirroring
> revision r121126 from svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc.  This is the deletion
> of about 15000 binary files.
>
> SVK sits in a loop, eating CPU, for about three minutes.  Then it
> starts reading revisions and writing transactions, but memory usage
> goes straight up while it does that - it hit 1.4GB in about thirty
> seconds.  I don't know how high up it'll go, but at least past 3.5GB.

I haven't debugged this yet - going to tomorrow, I think - but while
setting up SVK 2.0 I had another question about memory usage.  Is it
really expected to be this high?

drow     20007 34.2 61.8 1686724 1275444 pts/25 R+  17:07   2:56
|   \_ /usr/bin/perl -w /usr/bin/svk up

All I'm doing is svk update'ing a tree that I haven't used in a while.
It's a big tree (gcc), and a big while (12 months).  But needing
1.7GB to update is absurd!  Fortunately it didn't go much higher, but
something is rotten in memory usage.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery