[svk-devel] SVK / TortoiseMerge file access problem

Danny Manners danny.manners at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 09:08:00 EDT 2007

Windows XP Pro SP2, SVK 2.0.1_91, TortoiseMerge 1.4.1:

When I invoke TortoiseMerge from svk smerge, TortoiseMerge gives error:
"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
process"

Found the following exchange at
http://svn.haxx.se/tsvnusers/archive-2006-03/0031.shtml:

 From: Stefan Küng
Date: 2006-03-02 19:40:17 CET

Alexey Marin wrote:
*> Hello. *
*> I've tried to use Tortoise Merge as external diff/merge program for SVK *
*> and found the following problem: *
*> TMerge opens all four files (base, mine, theirs, merge) for read/write *
*> access, but actually it needs write access for 'merge' file only. *
*> The problem is that SVK locks all files except for 'merge' and TMerge *
*> crashes on opening these files. *

TMerge does not open those files with write access. We always open them
for reading only, even with shared access.

So why don't you report this issue to the SVK people? I mean their
program is crashing, not TMerge!
Stefan