[svk-devel] Re: Usage scenarios

Tue Jul 31 15:13:54 EDT 2007

> Hi all!
>
> Firstly I must apologize for sending this out to a dev list, but as I
> mentioned in a previous post, in the past I haven't been able to get
> answers on the #irc (maybe because of the timezone difference).
>
> In the past I have used SVK for mirroring remote SVN repos  with local
> branches, etc (much as the main intend of SVK).
>
> Now, I am wondering if the following usage scenarios are valid or not:
>
> 1/ Directly use a mirrored remote SVN (with/without SVN clients)
>
> Say I am mirroring a remote SVN repo locally:
>
> svn mirror http://remote-server/project_name/trunk //project_name/trunk
>
> And then my local working copy is a checkout of this
> //project_name/trunk and not some branch of it.
>
> Q: My current understanding is that this scenario is synonymous to
> working with the remote SVN directly (normal SVN usage). Is this
> correct?
>
> Q: For this scenario, can I use the normal SVN client tools?

Seeing that nobody is following on this I kept on reading and here are
my findings:

1/ From: http://www.bieberlabs.com/wordpress/archives/2005/03/19/explaining-the-svk-workflow

[quote]
If you check out of a mirror, every commit you make will be
synchronized back to the main repository.
[/quote]

I assume this is in terms of svk commit.

2/ From: http://svk.bestpractical.com/view/UsingSVKAsARepositoryMirroringSystem

[quote]
clkao: The only thing to note is not to commit directly to the
mirrored path. Commit to local branch, and use svk push/pull.
[/quote]

So, based on these I would say that the answers to my questions are:

A1: yes; as long as you use only svk

A2: no, you cannot. Using direct svn tools will break your local mirror.

Can anybody at least confirm these?

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.