[svk-devel] Re: Usage scenarios

Tue Jul 31 15:53:16 EDT 2007

> > Hi all!
> >
> > Firstly I must apologize for sending this out to a dev list, but as I
> > mentioned in a previous post, in the past I haven't been able to get
> > answers on the #irc (maybe because of the timezone difference).
> >
> > In the past I have used SVK for mirroring remote SVN repos  with local
> > branches, etc (much as the main intend of SVK).
> >
> > Now, I am wondering if the following usage scenarios are valid or not:
> >
> > 1/ Directly use a mirrored remote SVN (with/without SVN clients)
> >
> > Say I am mirroring a remote SVN repo locally:
> >
> > svn mirror http://remote-server/project_name/trunk //project_name/trunk
> >
> > And then my local working copy is a checkout of this
> > //project_name/trunk and not some branch of it.
> >
> > Q: My current understanding is that this scenario is synonymous to
> > working with the remote SVN directly (normal SVN usage). Is this
> > correct?
> >
> > Q: For this scenario, can I use the normal SVN client tools?
> >

> Seeing that nobody is following on this I kept on reading and here are
> my findings:
>
> 1/ From: http://www.bieberlabs.com/wordpress/archives/2005/03/19/explaining-the-svk-workflow
>
> [quote]
> If you check out of a mirror, every commit you make will be
> synchronized back to the main repository.
> [/quote]
>
> I assume this is in terms of svk commit.
>
> 2/ From: http://svk.bestpractical.com/view/UsingSVKAsARepositoryMirroringSystem
>
> [quote]
> clkao: The only thing to note is not to commit directly to the
> mirrored path. Commit to local branch, and use svk push/pull.
> [/quote]
>
> So, based on these I would say that the answers to my questions are:
>
> A1: yes; as long as you use only svk
>
> A2: no, you cannot. Using direct svn tools will break your local mirror.
>
> Can anybody at least confirm these?
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.

After some more search I have found : pushmi [1]. It currently lacks
the documentation the only thing I could find being [2].

My question now is: can a pushmi mirrored remote SVN be used also as a
svk mirror? (meaning can I use svk against this mirror creating local
branch and pushing/pulling)

tia,
./alex
--