[svk-devel] unexpected behavior with pull

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Fri Mar 9 22:20:00 EST 2007

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 12:04, Johannes Rudolph wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> If you want to use push and pull without hitting the actual trunk you
> need to create a *local* branch from the mirrored remote *branch*. I
> think that's the common use case.

This has been bugging me for a while.  If someone explains this to me (and I
understand it), I'll definitely patch the docs.  Here's my use case:

I have a svn server which has branches/trunk/tags (pretty standard).

I want to work on this on the train, so I svk copy //mirror/project
to //local/project, and then checkout //local/project/trunk/MyApp, and work
on that.  (I do this even when I'm connected, because svk commits are fast
and network commits are slow.  Slow commits break my workflow...)

Anyway, I'm still on the train and I decide I really don't want to break trunk
when I push, so I svk
cp //local/project/trunk/MyApp //local/project/branches/MyApp-broken and then
svk sw //local/project/branches/MyApp-broken.  I then proceed to commit until
I get home, at which point I connect to my network and svk push.

Oops.  I pushed MyApp-broken into trunk.  When I push trunk (not sure how I do
this now), I then push the MyApp-broken stuff back up to the server's trunk,
breaking everyone's build and getting lots of hate mail as a result.  What I
really wanted to happen was for a MyApp-broken branch to get created on the
server and then to have my //local changes pushed to it.

Basically, I want //local and //mirror to be EXACTLY THE SAME after a push or
pull.  How can I get this to happen?

Another related problem:

svk cp //mirror/huge-project/trunk //local/huge-project/trunk
svk cp //mirror/huge-project/branches //local/huge-project/branches
svk co //local/huge-project huge-project
cd huge-project
svk pull # doesn't work

I think a lot of people want this to work -- they frequently work on trunk and
branches, but never touch the tags (because they take a lot of disk space,
and ... shouldn't be touched anyway).

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway

--
package JAPH;use Catalyst qw/-Debug/;($;=JAPH)->config(name => do {
$,.=reverse qw[Jonathan tsu rehton lre rekca Rockway][$_].[split //,