[svk-devel] unexpected behavior with pull

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Wed Mar 7 13:53:13 EST 2007

Johannes Rudolph wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
>> When I did my "svk push", lackadaisically assuming this would just
>> push my local changes > to the branch onto the *remote* svn branch, I
>> was surprised, and dismayed, and in fear for > > my job!... when svk
>> also took it upon itself to merge the remote svn branch (originally
>> copied > from the trunk) back *into* the trunk.
> Ouch, but yes I've done that mistake before, too. Though it's expected
> behaviour. You have just to remember some points:
> 1.) A mirror is a mirror is a mirror: working on an svk mirror is
> identical to working to the mirrored repository. If you directly work
> on the mirror you do not need any push/pull. That's it.

It makes sense, I guess I was just thinking that the line between svn repo and
svk repo was stronger than that. I was also confused by an earlier experience
where I checked-out a copy of the trunk of an svk mirror. Committing changes
pushes the data to the svn repo and push/pull became no-ops. So I was lulled
into false security thinking that push just worked that way when you worked on a
mirror instead of a local copy. When in reality it had nothing to do with being
a checkout of my mirror, but from the fact that the trunk was never copied from
anywhere else.

--
Michael Peters
Developer