[svk-devel] Review log message when push'ing to mirror

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Wed Oct 17 09:30:23 EDT 2007

As far as I understand 'svk sm -l //src //dst' is exactly what you
want. It merges everything at once and opens an editor for you to edit
merged log message. For those who don't want to edit log there is
option -m in smerge command that allow them to replace log with a
message or add heading to merged log. So we have four variants at
least:
'svk sm -l //src //dst' - merged log, opens editor
'svk sm -m 'xxx' //src //dst' - replace log with a message, no editor
'svk sm -l -m 'xxx' //src //dst' - add a message before log, no editor
'svk sm -l -m '' //src //dst' - just merge logs without an editor
And the last variant is what's 'svk push --lump' does.

On 10/17/07, John Peacock <john.peacock at havurah-software.org> wrote:
> Jesse Vincent wrote:
> > "combined log" doesn't make a whole lot of sense there. (Given that the
> > question I proxied was from clkao based on the patch, I suspect a
> > slightly more descriptive help string would be good.
>
> Then I suspect that CLK didn't understand what I was proposing or more likely
> that I didn't understand what he meant by this:
>
> > This is basically non -m '' for push right?
>
> My proposed addition has the same behavior as "lump" except that after SVK has
> gathered the previous log messages, it pops up an editor to let you change the
> log message before committing upstream.  We want to compress the local dev
> commits into a single upstream commit (lump), with the additional step of being
> able to edit the log message itself (so we can be lazy in our local repo and
> strict for the mirrored primary repo).
>
> Does that make more sense?  I'll probably try and work on the slightly fussier
> bits to make this work in smerge directly as well, but I might not get to it
> until tomorrow (got diverted to playing with Xen this AM)...
>
> John

Best regards, Ruslan.