[svk-devel] push/pull at wrong level produces empty merge

Marc Mims marc at questright.com
Wed Oct 24 09:15:54 EDT 2007

I've been attempting to duplicate a problem we experienced in the
DBIx-Class repository.  Pulling onto DBIx-Class/0.09/trunk seemingly
lost the fact that it was copied from DBIx-Class/0.08/trunk and reported
an empty merge.

The hypothesis is that a user pushing from a local copy made at the
"wrong" level causes the problem.

I.e., if Project/B was copied from Project/A, then a user making a local
copy of Project and pushing changes from a checkout of Project will break
branching.  To use local copies and avoid the problem, the user must
make local copies of Project/A and Project/B separately.

I've been trying to simulate the problem with SVK::Test in the attached
program.  It includes a commented block, which when uncommented, results
in a merge conflict and an empty merge.

Is this expected?

There was no conflict report when we experienced the problem in the
DBIx-Class repository, but perhaps that is the root cause.

Some guidance would be appreciated.  I would like to duplicate the
original problem so it can be addressed.

	-Marc