[svk-devel] Re: branch management

Michael Hendricks michael at ndrix.org
Sat Oct 20 08:51:49 EDT 2007

I don't use SVK much anymore, so my comments may not hold much weight,
but here are some UE opinions.

On 2007-10-19 12:03:40 GMT, Chia-liang Kao wrote:
>   % svk branch --create feature/abc # create branches/feature/abc from trunk for the current project
>   % svk branch --create feature/abc --switch-to # create the branch and also switch the checkout over
>   % svk branch --create feature/abc --switch-to --local # create the branch but in local depot

I think "--switch-to" should be the default.  When I create branches, I
almost always want to edit the branch immediately.  "svk branch -c foo"
should create and switch to the new branch. As often as I create
branches, typing --create will get tiresome.

>   % svk branch --list # list active branches

I think "svk branch" (without arguments) should become "svk branch
--list".  I list current branches 20 times more frequently than I create
branches.  (I seem always to be forgetting which branch I was on :-).

>   % svk branch --list release-ready # list release ready branches
>   % svk branch --merge release-ready/* rc # merge all release-ready branches to a branch called rc which was branched from trunk
>   % svk branch --merge rc trunk # release rc to trunk

I think that "branch --merge" should be part of the "smerge" command.
Something like "svk sm release-ready/* rc"  and "svk sm rc trunk" Since
those branch names don't look like depot paths, it should be easy enough
to tell them apart.

--
Michael