[rt-users] Out going email problem solved

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Wed Jul 16 00:11:19 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 07:24:01PM -0700, Miles Scruggs wrote:

> I spent many hours these last few months trying to get RT to send outgoing
> mail.  Turns out there is a little undocumented (at least as far as I can
> find) feature/bug.
>
> If
>
> $CorrespondAddress = 'RT::CorrespondAddress.not.set';
> $CommentAddress = 'RT::CommentAddress.not.set';
>
> are not set, and no queue specific email address is given then outgoing mail
> will not be sent.  RT will give   NO ERRORS and one could assume that the
> mail has been sent.  MTA logs will show zero activity, and there appears to
> be a black hole.

Really? what about the syslog? I know I've had an RT instance send me
mail from 'RT::CommentAddress.not.set at host.domain'. What MTA are you
using? If you change that default to RT_CorrespondAddressNotSet does it
start working?

> While it is safe to assume that everyone will want to set these before
> production, it doesn't seem mandatory, especially for someone who is just
> trying the program out and wants to test it, before tweaking all the setting
> for production.

It has been our intent that it should work (but have a wrong return
address) if those values are left alone. If some modern MTA has broken
that behaviour, I'll fix the core so that it will still work.

> There have been at least 5 people that have mailed me about this problem
> since I posted to the list multiple times about not being able to get
> outgoing mail working.

*nod* Thank you for getting to the bottom of this. It's greatly
appreciated.