[rt-users] Re: Writing custom scrips in RT 3.0 web interface

Harald Wagener hwagener at hamburg.fcb.com
Wed Jul 16 04:26:25 EDT 2003

On Mittwoch, 16. Juli 2003, at 10:05 Uhr, michab wrote:

> hi Jesse,
>
> i asked several times, nobody gave an answere.
> how can we write scripts and support RT3 if nobody is willing to give
> an answere ?

OK, I will try to summarise the already given answers:

- It is not advised to manipulate the RT database directly, because You
(and everyone else trying) will most probably break it. Using the RT
API is more useful for the whole community, because Your solution will
be database independent.

- The RT perl API is documented using perldoc in the various perl
modules that are the basis of RT. If You don't understand parts of the
documentation, please be more specific into what needs improvements. If
You have parts of code that don't work or don't work as expected, feel
free to post them on the rt-devel list, where such things are usually
dicussed happily.

- The easiest way to manipulate RT not using the mail-gateway or web
frontend is to write a perl script using the API provided. You can then
write wrappers in various languages calling the perl script.

- A command line interface will be part of the next release, 3.0.5.
This will keep You off the script writing part, and You can concentrate
on the wrapers and the functionality You want/need. Just have some
patience.

Regards,
     Harald