[rt-users] Recommended hardware

Nathan J. Mehl rtusers at memory.blank.org
Tue Aug 3 16:33:20 EDT 2004

In the immortal words of Rick Rezinas (rick.rezinas at qsent.com):

> Is there much value in multiple CPU's?

Some: RT-qua-RT isn't particularly multithreaded, but apache (and its
children) and mysqld will contend for CPU time.

> I've seen RAM stated as pretty key to performance on this list.

Yes.  Luckily, RAM is cheap: max it out if you possibly can.

> Any recommendations regarding disk I/O?

My experience is that I tended to hit RAM and CPU limitations first,
but YMMV.

> Obviously, I'd like to purchase the biggest baddest box available, but
> this project is fairly skunkworks so my budget's not that great.

Don't use Solaris or Sun/Sparc hardware then. :(  (And especially
don't buy RAM from Sun.)

-n