[rt-users] RT 3.0.1 to 3.latest user and mysql db import possible?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Aug 31 23:18:59 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 22:02, Frank Saxton wrote:
> Am I going to run into trouble here?  I have this file (RT_SiteConfig.pm)
> set pretty much to the defaults, per the example file,  I set the
> mysaqladmin password because that's what the instructions said to do :(
>
> The README instructions for upgrading old databases seems to relate to
> upgrading an existing RT install, not importing an old database to use in a
> new install.  /etc/upgrade on the new machine is empty...

You should treat the database like you were upgrading from the
old version (because you are...).   Your rt's etc/updgrade
directory should have subdirectories for at least:
3.1.0  3.1.15  3.1.17  3.3.0  3.3.11
and you need to do the steps in the README for the ones
that have schema changes.

> I presume I should skip the make initialize-database step, yes?

Yes - do the upgrade steps instead.

> README sez:
>
> (You will definitely need to set RT's database password in
> /opt/rt3/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm before continuing. Not doing so could be
> very dangerous.  Note that you do not have to manually add a
> database user or set up a database for RT.  These actions will be
> taken care of in the next step.)

I think the rt user/password/permissions will come over with
the old database, but if not you can can fix it by
finding the GRANT statments in the initialize-database
script an running them by hand in mysql.  You can do the
upgrade steps as root so it won't matter until that is
done and you try to run RT.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les