[rt-users] Question about Query Builder

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Oct 7 15:37:29 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 03:13:32PM -0400, Jeremy Stinson wrote:
> That is my issue, thank you for describing it in better RT terms :) I
> understand that separate customer queues is not how this system was designed
> but my issue, and please let me know if there is a good way to solve this,
> is that there are multiple customers contacts per customer and the customer
> wants to see all open tickets. And, they want separate user IDs...

What you want, like me and several other people, is for for RT to
understand inherently about "Customers", I suspect.  You can use groups
for that, though you have to be more than usually careful about
rights (you can't assign much of anything at all to "privileged" users,
if you have groups that need to be effectively invisible to one
another -- you have to set up a separate group for your "internal"
people and give the rights to that instead).

> As a short term "fix", I did edit the /Elements/Tabs so that only people
> with certain rights will have access to that link. I think this is a decent
> solution since most users will not need that report functionality. What I
> will most likely do is create some canned reports for them and possibly
> create a new tab for reporting.

I've been thinking that a bit more reporting flexibility builtin might
be nice; the three things *I* need are single-level break and subtotal,
grand total (mostly for time worked) and the ability to report on
*transactions* rather than tickets.

Alas, my perl hacking isn't up to the task...

Cheers,
-- jra

	"NPR has a lot in common with Nascar... we both turn to the left."
		- Peter Sagal, on Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!