[rt-users] Can RT replace Remedy?

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Feb 13 14:20:16 EST 2008

We currently use Remedy and it's in need of an upgrade.If you know
anything about Remedy you know that can be extremely costly. I'm trying
to look at other Helpdesk products to see if something else could fit
instead of staying with Remedy.

Our helpdesk is somewhat customized, but we really don't take advantage
of what Remedy has to offer. We use it for tracking tickets/incidents.

I have RT installed on a test server and configured for LDAP which is a
requirement.

We currently create and route tickets based on a three level category
and the user's Location. My initial look at RT shows it as much simpler
than that. Basically writing an email and submitting. I assume someone
else is then responsible for routing the incoming tickets accordingly?

Other things we do:

1) Escalations? We have tickets with four different severity levels,
like Critical, High, Medium, and Low. Depending on the severity level
AND which group the ticket is assigned to, if nothing happens on a
ticket within a certain amount of time, an escalation
notification(email) is sent. Each group has three levels for during and
after business hours, plus three more global higher levels. These levels
are set for each group.

2) Are there business hours and after hours specifications? Holiday
settings?

3) Any type of bulletin board or global notices functionality?

4) Any type of Solutions functionality?

There's certainly more, but that's a start. Can RT do any of these
things? If it was customized to do these things, how hard would future
upgrades be?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,
James